The food insecurity rate is a measurement of the number of people in York County who do not have access to an adequate supply of nutritious foods. While many people think only the impoverished in York City struggle getting enough food to eat, many families all over York County, even those above the poverty threshold, struggle with food insecurity.
According to the YorkCounts 2012 and 2016 Indicators Reports, a YDR article entitled “Poverty is spreading across York County”, and Feeding America’s “Map the Meal Gap” study:
- York County experienced a high food insecurity rate of 10.9% in 2014.
- Roughly 50,000 residents, including 17,000 children, do not have a consistent supply of and access to nutritious food.
- 9% of York County residents lived in poverty in 2009.
- 51% of children in York City are living below the poverty threshold.
- York City had the lowest graduation rate in the county at 76.1% in 2010.
- 100% of the students in the York City School District were eligible for free breakfast and lunch in the 2015-2016 school year.
- Many students go hungry on the weekends and during the summer, as they rely on free meals at school for sustenance.
- York County’s obesity rate has grown to 35% for the years 2012-2014.
As evidenced by this data, hunger leads to developmental complications, poor academic and professional work performance and increased rates of obesity. Fortunately, the York County Food Bank has the opportunity to battle the high rates of food insecurity and promote greater wellness in York County. While many residents struggle to collect enough food to feed their families, our programs and distribution center give YorkCountiansgreater access to food while encouraging balanced diets and healthy lifestyles.
Learn more about the hunger and food insecurity problem in York County and other areas of the U.S. on the following websites:
YorkCounts - http://www.yorkcounts.org/index.asp
Central Pennsylvania Food Bank - http://www.centralpafoodbank.org/Resources/Hunger-Statistics
Feeding America - http://map.feedingamerica.org/county/2014/overall
YDR Article (Angie Mason) - http://www.ydr.com/story/news/education/2016/06/14/data-shows-rise-low-income-families-york-co-schools/84176050/