The Senior Box Program is a federal initiative designed to improve the health and nutrition of income eligible seniors. Seniors receive a box of food each month, which helps stretch their fixed incomes.
Our program has recently expanded and we are now accepting new applications!
See how to apply below.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY
- York County residents 60 and over
- Seniors must be living on no more than 130% of the Federal Poverty Level
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO APPLY?
- Interested persons may apply at over 20 distribution sites.
- Call our Senior Box Hotline
- (717) 846-6435 Ext 209
- Open from 10:00am-2:00pm Monday thru Thursday.
- Leave your name and phone number, you will receive a call back.
- Applications with proof of age and income are completed by staff.
- Identification with a picture and the applicant’s date of birth, or a birth certificate, may be used as proof of age.
- A Social Security award letter, filed income tax form, bank statement (if self-deposit is used), pension statement, and/or letter of financial support may be used as proof of household income.
- This program is presently at capacity; therefore, applicants will be placed on a waiting list and given first opportunity to join when program is accepting new applicants
WHAT DO SENIOR BOX PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS RECEIVE?
One box of food per month with an average retail value of $50, which includes the following commodities provided through the U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Bottled fruit juice/shelf-stable 2% milk
- Canned protein (e.g., chicken, chili, stew)
- Canned vegetables/fruit
- Bag of dried beans or jar of peanut butter
- Hot or cold cereal
- Non-fat dried milk (every other month)
- Two-pound block of cheese