Department: Fund Development
Reports to: CEO
Supervises: Communications and Development Coordinator and Grant Intern
Classification: Fulltime, Exempt
Overall responsibility is to lead the effort in fulfilling an aggressive fundraising goal to underwrite our Food Bank operations. Responsible for all aspects of development, including fundraising from individuals, corporations and foundations; grant writing; fundraising events; and associated communications, public relations, volunteerism and community engagement initiatives. The Development Manager will also work collaboratively with the Volunteer Coordinator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Support all fundraising strategies and campaigns.
• Ensure success of all aspects of fund development, including donor prospecting, individual donor programs, annual giving, planned giving, major gifts, foundation, corporate, direct mail, database management, special events and grant programs.
• Assist with volunteer recruitment and recognition.
• Act as Project Manager for special events including planning, committee coordination and other event related priorities.
• Coordination of capital campaign and endowment campaigns under the leadership of the CEO.
• Oversee communications related activities, including marketing, media, public relations, publications, marketing materials and electronic communication.
• Supervise the Communications and Development Coordinator and grant intern.
• Accurately maintain donor information in donor database.
• Manage donor research, tracking and recognition.
• Develop and coordinate fundraising campaigns with direct mail company.
• Represent the Food Bank at events and meetings in contact with donors and potential donors, as needed.
• Participate in meetings and committees as appropriate.
• Demonstrate willingness to perform whatever duties are necessary in the development and maintenance of the organization.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Undergraduate degree preferred. Any specialized training and/or certification in the development field is a plus. Knowledge of fundraising techniques and strategies. Excellent written and verbal communication, and relationship-building skills required. Excellent computer skills particularly in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook. Raiser’s Edge or other donor database is a plus.
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes:
• Self-motivated to regularly set and achieve individual and departmental goals.
• Experience managing at least one full-time staff person and outside vendors.
• Excellent judgement and positive attitude.
• Ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours with some local travel.
• Knowledge of fundraising principles and practices and maintain a professional, polished demeanor.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and demonstrate professionalism.
• Working knowledge of the value and effective use of online marketing and social media.
• Proven ability to maintain strict deadlines and significant attention to detail.
• This position requires excellent interpersonal, organizational, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and oral instructions, and maintain relationships with a diverse group of individuals, including vendors, donors and clients is required.
• Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences. - Treats people with respect; Works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
• Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
• Adapts to changes in the work environment.
• Position can be worked remotely, but the expectation is to be on-site at least once a week and as needed.
• May require driving in inclement weather.
• Ability to give speeches and presentations to groups.
Compensation commensurate with experience. Generous health benefits program, PTO, twelve paid holidays and retirement plan. Positive, action-oriented work environment; friendly atmosphere and people; development of people management, and organization skills; a chance to be in the forefront in the fight against hunger in York County.
How to Apply
1. Please send a letter of interest, resume, writing sample, 3 professional references and salary requirements to email@example.com.
2. Type “Development Manager” as the only content in the subject line of your email.